The global Legal Compliance (I-Comply) program at Charles River Laboratories, Inc. (Charles River or the Company) is designed to promote ethical behavior and to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations in each jurisdiction in which the company operates. Reporting to the Director, Corporate Compliance and working in close partnership with members of Legal Compliance, the Legal Department, corporate functions and business areas, the Compliance Specialist supports the global Legal Compliance (I-Comply) program at Charles River and is expected to promote a strong culture of compliance and ethics across the Company. The Compliance Specialist plays an important role in the implementation, ongoing management, and continued improvement, of the Company’s global Legal Compliance (I-Comply) program.
Responsibilities of the Compliance Specialist include but are not limited to: managing the Company’s global policy management program; supporting government contracts compliance; overseeing management of the Company’s records management program; assisting with risk assessment, monitoring and auditing; providing Legal Compliance leadership, and supporting other important Legal Compliance (I-Comply) program initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Policy Management: Manages Charles River’s global policy management process, including reviewing all new and/or updated global corporate policies for compliance with company requirements, coordinating the review and approval of all global corporate policies by the Policy Review Committee, managing Legal Compliance policies, and ensuring timely publishing of global policies within Charles River’s policy library and intranet.
- Government Contracts Compliance: Provides Legal Compliance support to Charles River’s Government Contracts function, including monitoring and assessing the impact of new and/or changing laws, regulations, and Executive Orders governing U.S. federal contracts, communicating new and/or changing requirements to appropriate internal stakeholders, and providing additional government contracts compliance support as needed.
- Records Management: Helps drive global compliance with Charles River’s Records Management Policy, including conducting regular reviews and updates to the policy, providing guidance to employees and addressing questions on records retention requirements, supporting training and communication initiatives for records management, and serving as the primary point of contact for the Records Management Leads (RMLs).
- Risk Assessment, Monitoring, and Auditing: Assists with Legal Compliance risk assessment, monitoring, and auditing activities, including supporting Charles River’s compliance and ethics risk assessment process, identifying and tracking key metrics, compiling trend analysis reports, and remaining current on key compliance and ethics developments.
- Reporting and Issue Management: Helps address compliance and ethics-related reports or concerns made to Legal Compliance, including helping to administer Charles River’s Helpline, maintaining the Legal Compliance case management tool, and conducting appropriate follow-up activities in consultation with the Director, Corporate Compliance.
- Legal Compliance Leadership and Support: Serves as a key resource at Charles Rivers for the Legal Compliance program and will be expected to manage additional matters, projects and initiatives with key stakeholders, including serving as a principal point of contact for our global Legal Compliance Liaisons, RMLs and senior leaders.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) or equivalent
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or other advanced degree is desired but not required
- Minimum of three (3) years of compliance and/or ethics professional experience
- Experience with U.S. government contracts compliance, including strong familiarity with the Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR)
- Experience in the life sciences or related industry sector preferred
- Experience in a team-based organization
- Strong organizational and project management skills (including project planning)
- Ability to navigate diverse business, cultural, and interpersonal environments
- Ability to communicate effectively and build strong working partnerships with key stakeholders
- Analytical skills and the ability to demonstrate critical thinking
- Ability to balance and effectively prioritize numerous projects covering a variety of subject matters
- Excellent quantitative skills necessary to extract and analyze both hard and soft data
- May require infrequent domestic and international travel
- Certified Compliance & Ethics Professional (CCEP) certification from Compliance Certification Board, or commitment to obtain such within 2 years post-hire
- Regularly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine, and computer printer.
- Must occasionally move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Regularly provides information to and receives information from/through various technologies, media sources, and contacts. Must be able to accurately exchange information in these situations.
Charles River is a U.S. Federal Contractor. As a result, we must follow the Presidential Executive Order to mandate vaccinations, and ensure our employees are fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Our main priority is the wellbeing, health, and safety of our people. We require proof of vaccination from all employees.
Anyone with requests for disability-related and/or religious exemptions should contact Talent Acquisition (crrecruitment_US@crl.com) so that information can be provided about the accommodation process at Charles River.
About Corporate Functions
The Corporate Functions provide operational support across Charles River in areas such as Human Resources, Finance, IT, Legal, Sales, Quality Assurance, Marketing, and Corporate Development. They partner with their colleagues across the company to develop and drive strategies and to set global standards. The functions are essential to providing a bridge between strategic vision and operational readiness, to ensure ongoing functional innovation and capability improvement.
About Charles River
Charles River is an early-stage contract research organization (CRO). We have built upon our foundation of laboratory animal medicine and science to develop a diverse portfolio of discovery and safety assessment services, both Good Laboratory Practice (GLP) and non-GLP, to support clients from target identification through preclinical development. Charles River also provides a suite of products and services to support our clients’ clinical laboratory testing needs and manufacturing activities. Utilizing this broad portfolio of products and services enables our clients to create a more flexible drug development model, which reduces their costs, enhances their productivity and effectiveness to increase speed to market.
With over 18,000 employees within 100 facilities in over 20 countries around the globe, we are strategically positioned to coordinate worldwide resources and apply multidisciplinary perspectives in resolving our client’s unique challenges. Our client base includes global pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, government agencies and hospitals and academic institutions around the world.
At Charles River, we are passionate about our role in improving the quality of people’s lives. Our mission, our excellent science and our strong sense of purpose guide us in all that we do, and we approach each day with the knowledge that our work helps to improve the health and well-being of many across the globe. We have proudly supported the development of >80% of the drugs approved by the FDA for the past 3 years.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an Equal Opportunity Employer – all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
If you are interested in applying to Charles River Laboratories and need special assistance or an accommodation due to a disability to complete any forms or to otherwise participate in the resume submission process, please contact a member of our Human Resources team by sending an e-mail message to crrecruitment_US@crl.com. This contact is for accommodation requests for individuals with disabilities only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For more information, please visit www.criver.com.